Wednesday, October 01, 2014

The Khmer Empire on Google Maps


I've been impressed with a lot of the long-form reports that I've seen recently, many of which have included great map interactions. I've therefore decided to try and create my own library which can be used to create great long-form mapped visualizations.

The Khmer Empire is the first outing for this library. In truth it isn't a great long-form story about the Khmer Empire (I really don't know enough about the subject). However Google Maps does have some great satellite and Street View imagery in Cambodia, so it did seem like it would be an interesting subject to use for this test of the library in action.

The Khmer Empire uses the Google Maps API with Waypoints.js to create an interactive map. To navigate through the narrative all you have to do is to keep scrolling down on the page.

No comments: